Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Overdue update

Been hectic for awhile with the holidays coming up but I need to post some sort of update on the reef.

First of all, Gumdrop seems to be thriving. He should be long dead if he hasn't been eating but it seems he has. So, good news. He could just be small enough to where it doesn't look like he's really eating. I had gotten some different food in flake form for him and he didn't seem to spit it out but the piece he 'ate' were minuscule. Maybe that's all he needs? I'm feeding the tank Mondays and Thursdays although I may cut back on the coral feeding because...

I'm having a big algae problem. I got a scraper to get rid of the snail eggs on the side of the glass and some of the algae that the snails can't keep up. Took care of all this a week or more ago and the snail has laid more eggs -.- The algae is exploding as well; it's all over the rocks and starting to grow on the sand bed. The snails can't keep up. I check my water parameters and everything is 0 so I'm not sure where the nutrients for the algae to thrive off are coming from. Hence why I'm going to cut back the coral feeding because it may be getting it from that. I should really test the drinking water I get from Walmart to actually see if it is RO water like it says it is...

I'll probably have to perform another manual scraping of the walls of the tank to clear the snail eggs and algae sometime this week and maybe get another nerite snail to help with the hair algae growing everywhere. This all good be because of the mini cycle I caused a while back and the tank is just re-stabilizing again.

Time will tell and I'm hoping for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment