Tuesday, November 17, 2015

More Livestock Freebies and Pom Pom Crab video

Stomatella Snail?
I was inspecting my tank last night and found a very small snail hiding behind my Zoas that I've never seen before. Thankfully, it turns out he's a beneficial snail and isn't predatory to any of my corals. I wasn't able to get a great shot of him but I believe he is a Stomatella Snail because he has a really long tail that extends out of his shell. I could very well be wrong but he looks like other images I've seen of these snails, albeit he's quite small at the moment :P

I also have been wondering what this "thing" under my Zoa rock was for awhile and finally decided to really look at it. Turns out, it wasn't just a piece of rock but rather a shell of some sort. Since I was unable to identify it and it had been sitting there for weeks, I decided to try and remove it from the rock with a tool. It "held on" to the rock but not like a snail would so it didn't feel like it was working against me. It felt more like it was "attached" as I could move the shell but a piece was staying on. I was finally able to work it free and began to wonder if the critter was actually alive since it wasn't easy (but also not too difficult) to remove. Instead of just throwing it out, I placed it in a new area on the sand. If it hadn't moved by the end of the following day, I would discard it. However, I came in this morning and the shell is nowhere to be found. I decided to try and find what kind of hitchhiker I could have gotten. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of him as I was pretty sure it wasn't alive but I found this image online and it looks pretty darn close to the little guy. At the very least, I'm pretty sure that I have some sort of bivalve...

Anyways, onto the more interesting part! Check out the video I took of the Pom Pom Crab dancing around and eating some foods! I'll have to get a video of me actually feeding him because he goes haywire for mysis shrimp!

No comments:

Post a Comment